It is very frustrating to see the suffering of so many children and hear the politicians talk as if they are meaningless talking points rather than children, precious children. Please sign this petition to the President who has the executive authority to make this a real turning point in his shameful record on immigration and change thousands of lives.
Please share this widely! Our coordinator will take these signed petitions with her on July 30th to Washington, DC and present them to the White House.
Dear Mr. President,
- Every child and family have legal representation.
- Children with family in the U.S. are united with them speedily
- Children without family in the U.S. are placed with caring sponsors.
- Families that arrived together are kept together in the community, rather than in detention centers.
- Veto any attempt to roll back protections under the Trafficking Victims Protection and Reauthorization Act of 2008 (TVPRA) and ensure that all claims have a fair opportunity to be heard, recognizing that children, in particular, are traumatized and will not be able to provide truthful testimony under stress and without mental health support.
- Focus the $3.7 billion supplemental appropriation on the above goals. Security at the border is not the issue.
- Allocate sufficient resources to the eradication of the root causes of this migration of desperate children and women fleeing violence. The amount in your current request is woefully inadequate.